Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Excitement in la casa

Last night our social worker from Children's Hope International flew in. We finally got to visit face to face with Nichole. It was a short visit has she had to fly out to Medillion to be part of another families court process in the morning.
It has been 3 1/2 weeks not working or having to use our medical background. That changed abruptly. We were in the main living area, when one of the kitchen staff came out of the kitchen in a hurry, and I could tell it wasn't to ask me if I wanted any more eggs... One of the staff was dizzy, and slumped over. Quickly myself and another person got this person to a nearby bed. The person was not responding and had an erratic pulse. I found out a short while later, that this person had a heart history. I asked someone to call an ambulance. Tracey came in as well. My natural instinct kicked in, but I was a long way from home and any medical equipment that I was use to. We were just hoping the ambulance with come and take over. This person did not worsen, but with the history we received, new they needed a further work up. The ambulance showed up 25 minutes later. I gave them a report through another staff that could translate. The translator told them that we had medical background and what had occured. By this time the patient was doing better, but I was expecting a gurney and a trip to the local ER. Some basic tests were done, they showed me the rhythm strip, and the paramedics left and said the patient was ok. Tracey and I couldn't believe with the history on this person, that they would just leave. I forget that we are not in the states, and things are done quite a bit differently. I checked on the person and later family came and I was told that they did take this person to the hospital. Tracey and I felt relieved that finally this was done. After all the excitement, we didn't get a chance to say good by to Nichole, as she was rushing to the airport. Tracey and I took Ruben and went for a walk. We found "El Corral", a good burger joint. Where was this in Monteria? Burger, fries, onion rings, and a chocolate shake. Not something I want to do every day, but boy
did it hit the spot.
We walked the 4-5 blocks back to the house. Andres picked me up and another trip to the US Embassy. After a short wait, I went to the window, and received Ruben's passport, and the "packet". Basically, this is all the paperwork needed by immigration in the US for Ruben to be a citizen and enter the US. The most important thing, is NOT to open this. Immigration in the US would not be very happy, and who knows what they would say or do. Now we just wait and pack tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment