Sunday, October 2, 2011

CARTAGENA

This morning we woke up and the rain storms had passed. Our balcony window overlooks the pools at the hotel and in the distance is the Carribean sea. The water is not as turqoise as I thought it would be, but still very refreshing. Ruben and I went to breakfast at the hotel restaraunt (Tracey is not a breakfast person). It reminded me of being on a cruise ship.
There were breakfast foods and pastries that I have never even heard of, but I haven't met a breakfast that I wouldn't at least try. Even Ruben was on board. He almost ate a whole bowl of oatmeal. The sugar here gets served to you in a liquid form, but tastes still tastes sweet. Being a resort town, there were people all around us speaking French, Swiss, Chinese, and of course Spanish. After breakfast, the three of us took a taxi (6,000 pesos) to the Old City. The city is surrounded by a thick tall rock wall with several old cast iron cannons in strategic places to defend the city. Cartagena was a very important port for goods and precious metals "gold". Many battles took place in the 1600-1700's. Tracey and I walked in the very narrow streets throughout the city. It kind of reminds me of New Orleans during mardi gras minus the drunks. Also a similarity of the old movies about jack the ripper. We toured inside some of the inner passages and rooms, which I think were also used as dungeons. It was a nice place to visit, but can't imagine actually living that way. We didn't stay too long, as the heat and humidity were a killer again. We took another taxi back to the hotel and took a dip in the pools and walked along the beach. The worse part of the whole deal is once you leave the pool and start to the ocean, one after another peddlers approach you and want to sell you something or ask for money. One lady wanted to give me a massage. I just said " no gracias or no quiero nada", the lady left me and started to massage Tracey's shoulders. Tracey was helpless as her spanish is minimal. Needless to say, we didn't stay out there long. We went back to the old city for dinner and ate at Quebracho's an Argentine restaraunt, but will talk about that tomorrow, as Ruben is getting a little fussy and Tracey is needing my assistance.





























No comments:

Post a Comment