Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Castille de San Fellipe

I almost didn't get this post off tonight, our internet is very spotty at best here in Monteria. We took the 5hr, I should say 6hr van ride back to Monteria from Cartagena today. I think the potholes doubled since our trip up from Monteria. We didn't have rain, which was nice. However, Tracey and I have aches in places we didn't know we could ache. Those vans must go through shocks frequently. We did have a little more excitement then the trip up. A pig ran across the road, the driver swerved and we darn near had bacon... " Why did the little piggy cross the road... To make sure Matt and Tracey had one more memory to log"
Yesterday morning we took a taxi across town to the historical Castille de San Fellipe. This is a very old castle/fort. It was started in 1654 and took almost 100 years to build. It was built to keep invaders and spaniards out. It was a long walk pushing Ruben in the stroller to the top. Along the way there are several cast iron cannons, and holes for guns to shoot out of. At the top you can see the entire coast line, which I'm sure was the idea to see ships approaching from the sea. A gigantic flag of Colombia is flying in the breeze. There are several small and thin tunnels that lead throughout the architecture. Many small rooms with bars to hold prisoners. As you can see from the picture, one unlucky soul is locked behind the bars. Just walking through the dark, earry (sp) odorous tunnels, gave me the creepers. We didn't stay too long, as the caribbean hot humid temps were keeping Ruben toasty. I can now cross this off my bucket list of places to see. (i'm not sure this castle was on the list, but I can definitely say I have seen it now. Well, it is getting a little late, and I am trying to psych myself up to sleep on the concrete mattress, and wake up to a nice refreshing cold shower. As we say to Ruben, "noche - noche".... night-night...




































No comments:

Post a Comment